Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fore Brother

My older brother's birthday was this past Tuesday (5th). He is a huge golf fanatic so I purchased this Stampabilities "Vintage Golfer" stamp with him in mind several months ago. His birthday sometimes catches me off guard because it is so close to the holidays, but I was prepared this year. I am trying something new this year. SPecifically, I will make all my birthday cards for the month in the preceding month and prepare the envelopes for mailing. This month I chose cards from my existing stock for many of the January birthdays. Let's see how this works~ I am hoping to be better at getting cards to their destination on time.

On a bitter-sweet note, my 89 year old mother passed away last evening. Mom moved to a nursing home about four miles from my home in late May. She had been living with my sister for four years~ a real blessing for all of us & so giving of my sister; but Mom became increasingly weaker so it was time for round the clock care. Nearly thirty years ago, I moved from my home town to St. Louis (about a 3 hour drive). So when Mom moved near me in May, I was able to see her nearly every evening; something that was not possible since I was a young adult. What a blessing to be able to spend so much time together! Unfortunately, her health continued to deteriorate and last evening I was at her bedside when she passed peacefully.

The pictures below are from December 27th, when I organized a family holiday gathering at the nursing home for my family- my siblings and our children. Not all of Mom's grandkids could make it, but we had a small family crowd. My mom loved it! The first picture is Mom and all her children (Mom, me and my three siblings). The second picture is me with my family~my husband, and my two daughters. Although I am sad to have lost the best mom and the best role model in the world, I am happy as she is free of pain and with her love, my dad. If you have a spare minute or two, say a little prayer for Mom and my family.


5 comments:

Peggy said...

Your masculine card is fabulous!
I am sorry to hear about your mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!
{{Hugs}}

Beverly said...

Marilyn... I am truly sad to hear of your loss, but how wonderful that you have been able to visit with her so often in her last days. Thank you for sharing the Christmas photos... I'm certain you'll cherish these for a long, long time.
Hugs and prayers...

Susan said...

Blessing and prayers for the road ahead of you, Marilyn. I know all to well the lost that is so difficult to express in words. Truly time heals and we are called to spread our joy among the living. And what a beautiful family!! Thanks for sharing your Mom here. I will pray as the Spirit of the Lord brings you to my mind. And I'll be watching for your blue creations...

Hugs,
Susan

Silke Ledlow said...

OH - I'm so sorry to hear about your loss!!!
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!!! Big hugs ~S~

Kim said...

So sorry for your loss, your mom looks like a lovely woman and you have a beautiful family.